The TechArb Accelerator program is designed for student entrepreneurs who are highly committed to launching their own venture — for them, it is no longer just an idea or a passion project, but a serious endeavor on its way to becoming a viable venture, perhaps already having some traction.
Portfolio members receive premier access to expert mentors, tailored programming, material support, dedicated workspace, and a community of like-minded, high-achieving peers. TechArb’s investment philosophy centers around “Ideas with Impact;” the most competitive applicants will be those who are working to improve the lives of others in meaningful ways and can clearly articulate their intended impact within their application.
Our next cohort will run from May 13 to August 22, with applications open Thursday February 28 and closing Wednesday, March 20, 11:59 PM (Deadline extended). We will hold an information session for all interested students on Wednesday, March 13th, from 1-2 PM at TechArb.
What you need to know before applying:
- Companies representing any industry or sector — from no-tech to high-tech — are welcome to apply. What’s important is that applicants can clearly articulate the value of their venture’s product or service to the target customer, as well as society at large.
- Currently enrolled students at any level from any discipline are welcome. We encourage teams to incorporate a diversity of backgrounds and experience — these tend to be some of the most creative, capable, and resilient.
- Each company must be led by at least one currently enrolled University of Michigan student; more than one is strongly encouraged. The program requires presence at regular meetings and office hours, as well as the expectation that members will make good use of the onsite resources available to them (spending at least 40 hours per week onsite). Historically, companies that are able to share these responsibilities among multiple members tend to fare better.
- Each accepted team will receive funding through a $4,000/person living stipend and access to a milestone award (an equity-free grant). This funding is in place to ensure students are able to commit fully to their ventures without worrying about taking on a side job for income.
- Throughout the program each company’s progress will be periodically reviewed. Only those companies who are making substantial progress toward pre-defined milestones will be able to continue with the program.
- The program is intentionally designed to push companies farther faster (ie, to accelerate them). All applicants should be prepared to be challenged and have room in their schedules to take on such challenge. Committing to TechArb means you’re able and willing to treat your venture as a full-time job.
Apply to TechArb
DEADLINE EXTENDED! The application for our next cohort closes
March 17th March 20th, 11:59 PM. Finalists will be invited to interview with one or more members of the review committee, with decisions announced by the first week of April.